Friday, April 1, 2011

Honoring the Past



My heart is heavy
yet light
My heart is sad
yet joyful
My heart is broken
yet whole
My heart is in despair
yet hopeful
My heart is fearful
yet brave
My heart is shy
yet bold
My heart is tearful
yet laughing
My heart honors the past
yet embraces tomorrow

The last few years my life have been stagnant, a pool of muck waiting for the virus to take me away.  A few weeks ago a simple idea ignited a spark that led me to a healing path.  Now I am on a quest to heal my wounds and move bravely into my future.  The most interesting part of the journey thus far?  To go forward I have found myself going back.  I have reconnected with people from my past.  I am seeing history with new eyes and a healing heart.  It is odd that even though I am discovering more mistakes I have made, I am also finding new ways to heal. 

It seems that I have collected hurts over the years.  Some are real, some are my own creation.  And I thought that I had dealt with them.  But there was no healing.

A story from my past comes to mind.  My youngest brother, Matt, split his knee open with a hatchet.  He was taken to the emergency room and it was stitched.  A couple of weeks later my brothers were wrestling around and the knee split open again.  When they took him to the doctor, he said that it was a good thing that it had reopened.  It wasn't healing on the inside, even though it looked like it was healing on the outside. 

Healing has to be from the inside out.  So in my quest of healing, I find myself looking back.  And I know that as I heal I can bravely move into a beautiful future. 

Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment