Wednesday, April 6, 2011

The Hare










Hopping here
Hopping there
Just like the speedy hare

Doing this
Doing that
Not remembering where I'm at

Alexandra was very busy today.  During art time, she was distracted by various things around her.  She would play with her toy.  Stop for a snack.  Play with the glue stick.  Stop for a snack.  Play with the pom poms.  Play with the glue stick.  Stop for a snack.  Needless to say, this presented a challenge for Marc and I.  In order to complete the project, we had to make adjustments and reintroduce Alex to the task at hand. 

The process was a perfect example of various times in my life.  I often have several projects going at once.  In addition, I am a caretaker by nature.  So if someone is struggling around me, I want to help them.  There is nothing wrong with having lots going on.  There is nothing wrong with being a caretaker.  However, it presents several challenges. 

When I jump from one project to another, I have to first figure out where I am.  And figure out what needs to happen next.  Doing this takes time and often adds to my stress when I have a lot on my plate.  Sometimes I get frustrated and neglect some projects for long periods of time.  Sometimes the projects get put into a drawer and forgotten. 

A similar thing happens as a caretaker.  I sometimes get so wrapped up in helping others and forget to take care of my own needs.  It is a lesson I am still learning.  In order to offer the people around me my best, I have to take time for me on a daily basis. 

Another challenge as a caretaker is realizing that my goals, my desires, my dreams are just as important as the people I care about.  I often struggle with balancing all of the things I choose to take on.  So how do I cope?  Well, I make lists.  I set aside thirty minutes a day for myself.  This helps keep me stay charged and focused.  The most difficult struggle I am trying to master, is figuring out how to accomplish my goals and dreams.  I can do it tomorrow.  I have plenty of time.  It can wait.  These are all beginning to wear thin.  And sometimes they add to my feelings of being a failure. 

So today, I am choosing one goal that is important to me.  I am making a promise to myself to work on this one goal everyday.  Why?  Because it is important to me.  And I am worth it.

Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment