Thursday, April 21, 2011

Measuring Up



Looking deep inside myself
Searching wall to wall

Do I dare stand tall?

Looking at my heart
Checking all the corners

Do I love enough?

Looking at my hands
Studying all the lines

Are they strong and kind?

Examining my feet
Questioning their might

Can they carry light?

Challenging my shoulders
Living with the strain

Can they bear the pain?

Looking through my eyes
All the faces that I see

Do they measure me?

I often struggle when it comes to measuring my value.  When I look at what others have accomplished, I fall short.  When I look at how others show kindness, I see myself as harsh.  When I look at other mothers, I wish that I could be like that.  When I look at others' relationships, I am convinced that my heart is made of stone.  When I look at others' successes, I become a failure.

It is hard to measure your value if you compare yourself to others.  I find it is more beneficial to measure who I am today against who I was yesterday.  If I am better today than I was yesterday, then I am successful.  I have to measure my life based on me.  To measure any other way, is a recipe for disaster. 

I have to live for me.  I have to be thankful for today.  I have to be the best that I can be today.



Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

5 comments:

  1. I'm guilty of doing some of the very things that you do. I happen to know that the people around you love you very much and are extremely proud of the person that you are today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say that I am guilty of measuring myself against others. I have too often seen myself as a failure in life, forgetting about the things that I have done successfully. It's easy to forget sometimes when life gets hard or things are changing. I'm lucky to have people in my life who remind me that I am successful in my life and with how far I have come. I want you to know mom that I am proud of you for who you are and for overcoming the struggles and obstacles that you've had in your life. Life can only be lived one day at a time, trying for more than that is impossible. Love you momma

    ReplyDelete
  3. one measure stck only

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Success" in our culture means our measure is looking outside ourselves at what others have. It's an illusion we create for ourselves. A neighbor has a better job and more money...someone is thinner, more beautiful, more articulate, a better writer, painter or poet. Comparison, I believe, is the root of the problem. The moment we understand that we all "live in our own heads" and there is no way we are better (or lesser) than anyone or anything....we can break free of those chains that bind us to the cognitive process that makes us feel inadequate. Many of us are highly successful at telling ourselves we aren't precious treasures with something to offer the world.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The key is being able to see ourselves as God sees us. . . worth His Son dying for us. Thus the Easter season.

    Sometimes it is a challenge to see ourselves as others see us and accept it.

    ReplyDelete