Sunday, April 24, 2011

My Easter Parade


Easter parades before my eyes
Memories from all the days gone by

Hunting for eggs in pajamas
Grass on the floor
And in my basket
Donning a dress
Shiny new shoes
A little white purse
My hair in curls

The years marched on
I became a mom

Hiding the eggs
Before the dawn
Waking the children
Watching them search
Dressing them up
And off to church

My babies
My babies
Where have they gone
I turned around and they were grown



Easter always reminds me of time passing.  When my children were small, easter meant filling baskets, cooking dinner, hiding eggs, making easter outfits and, of course, pictures.  I would spend two weeks preparing for easter; buying baskets and candy, filling the candy eggs, counting as I went.  I always wanted to make sure they all had the same amount.  During those two weeks, I would be up late every night sewing or crocheting their outfits.  As they got older they nixed the matching outfits, but I still remember parading around with my beautiful children all dressed alike.  I remember going to the mall for pictures.  People would stop and watch us walk by.  The more they smiled, the taller I walked.

There are some things I just don't like to let go.  I continued to hide easter eggs until they were all out of high school.  Every child was assigned a specific color of egg.  They all had the same number of eggs and pieces of candy.  I would hide the eggs and call the children.  Every year one egg would disappear.  It was a different child's egg every year, but without fail, one would be lost.  You would think that I would know where I had hidden all the eggs minutes before.  Alas, one egg was always lost. 

Although I no longer hide eggs for my kids, I still give them easter baskets every year.  I just don't want to let go.  Handing them the basket every year reminds me of all the years when they were small.  When I hand them the basket I see them one more time in their bright colored sweaters.  I am reminded one more time of the greatest gifts I have ever received. 

This year the parade marches on.  This year I will watch my son hide the eggs.  I will watch my granddaughter search.  And I will watch her discover the glory of plastic eggs with treasures inside.  Today I will see the traditions passed on.  Today I am thankful for my Easter Parade.



Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. I've always enjoyed Easter, finding eggs, the hunt of it all. I have many thimbles full of memories from different Easters throughout my life. And I'm sure that I have more to come. Happy Easter momma. Love you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this one!! Easter has always been very fun for me. I enjoy the basket making, and hiding eggs. It's so much joy to watch them hunt for eggs and get grumpy when they know there are more they can't find. And then watching them play with their new toys and eat their candy...making Easter dinner and just enjoying the day fully with my family. I love Easter!!

    ReplyDelete