Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Beyond the Bars


I can see the life I want
Just beyond the bars
I can feel the changes
Blowing in the air

How do I get beyond
The prison that I've built
The bars of shame
The bars of guilt
The bars of expectations
The bars of blame
The bars of fear
The bars of consternation

The time has come
The time is now
To move beyond
The bars somehow



For so long I have had this image of what and who I should be.  I have often taken my inspiration from the people around me, the television, the people I love.  The only problem with doing this, I always fail miserably.  I have had some great examples in my life.  Ones I hold dear to my heart.  And I thought that the best way to honor them was to try and be them.  When you try to be several other people at once, you fail. 

In the struggle, I have made mistakes.  These mistakes have taken a toll on my soul.  It is difficult, almost impossible for me to forgive myself for my own failure.  However, I have to believe that I can find forgiveness.  I have to believe that my soul is not damaged beyond repair.  I have to believe that I have a good heart.  And I have to believe that I can get beyond the bars.  So today, I look for forgiveness.  It is where I must start.  I have to forgive myself for the mistakes.  I have always told my children, "Mistakes are just a part of life.  Learn from them.  Move on."  I guess it is time to follow my own advice. It is time to allow the tears to fall and healing to flow through me.  There is life beyond the bars.

Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment