Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sesame Street


I'm looking for Grover
And Big Bird
I'm searching for Oscar
And Elmo too

I want to count
With Count Von Count
I want to say hi
to Mr. Hooper

I'd like to play
With Barkley
And sing with Ernie
Maybe borrow his duck

I could have a snack
With Cookie Monster
And try to find
Snuffleupagus

I'd like to meet
Bert and Maria
Prairie Dawn
And Gordon too

And if I'm lucky
And very good
Maybe Kermit
Will say hello
Can you show me how to get to Sesame Street


Wouldn't you love to live on Sesame Street?  I would.  Think about it?  The worst thing you would have to deal with is Oscar the Grouch.  And I think he is kind of lovable. 

Sesame Street always makes me smile.  It always reminds me of my sister Regina.  Today would have been her fortieth birthday.  She left this world thirty-two years ago.  Sometimes it feels like yesterday.  I think of her often.  I wonder what she would be like.  I often wonder how my life would be different if she was still here. It is amazing how eight short years with her touched my life so much.  I know that losing her made me appreciate every day with my children.  And it makes me appreciate everyday with my granddaughter. 

Sesame Street also reminds me of my friend Brenda.  We became friends several years ago when we were both going through a difficult time.  We were both newly single.  She had two young children and I had four.  We leaned on each other.  We encouraged each other.  We pushed each other to keep going.  There were times that things would become so overwhelming, to the point of being ridiculous.  Brenda would look at me and one of us would say "Can you show me how to get to Sesame Street?"  It always seemed to bring us back from the brink of hysteria. 

Often times, in my adult life I have had the desire to go back to a simpler time.  Back to a time when the world was a friendly place.  Unfortunately, I don't have that luxury.  I have to keep going.  I have to face today. 

So I leave you today with the immortal words of Regina's Big Bird clock:

"Wake up, it's me, Big Bird, and its time to get up.  Open your little eyes now.  Don't roll over and go back to sleep.  Come on now, one foot out of bed, now the other one.  OK.  Have a nice day and don't forget to wind the clock."


Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Now that was really special. Love you Dawn. Enjoy this beautiful day.
    Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree. Ever since those days on your porch and saying "Can you tell me how to get to Sesame Street", that phrase has been such an inspiration...like you said...from the edge of a brink; it just brings a smile. Keep up the fantastic work on this blog. It brings smiles to lots of people :)

    ReplyDelete