Saturday, April 23, 2011

A Thimble Of My Thoughts





A thimble holds a memory
A moment of my past

A thimble holds a story
That in my heart will last

A thimble marks my life
Good things along the way

A thimble holds my joy
A beautiful bouquet

A thimble holds my heritage
A picture of my history

A thimble offers comfort
In a very special way

My thimbles mark my journey
The life that I have had

My thimbles help me remember
That things are not so bad



Let's consider the capacity of a thimble.  A thimble is small indeed.  It fits on the end of your finger.  You can carry it in your pocket, throw it in a box and lose it in the shuffle.  If you see the thimble as a moment in your life, how many would you have?  How many will you collect today?

On the flipside, a thimble can hold an immeasurable amount.  When I hold a thimble in my hand, memories come flooding back into my heart and mind.  I have a thimble that belonged to my great grandmother.  When I hold the thimble, I remember all the time we shared together.  I remember all of her stories.  I remember her incredible stamina and grace.  I remember my rich heritage.

I have a thimble from Sea World in San Antonio.  When I hold it in my hand, I remember the only vacation my kids and I had.  I remember all the great things we saw, the smiles and the laughter.  I remember visiting my grandparents and my uncle's and aunt's.  I remember counting out skittles into baggies so each child had the same amount.  I remember packing and repacking them.  I remember the music that I played on the trip (and so do my children). 

I have a thimble from a monopoly game that reminds me of game nights when I was a child.  It also reminds me of game nights with my children;  the laughter, the competition, the camraderie. 

So as the world struggles and the economy worsens, I turn to my thimbles.  This moment, this struggle, is another thimble in my life.  It seems big right now, but in the grand scheme of things, it is only a thimble.



Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

4 comments:

  1. At times I think all my life experiences fit into one thimble - but then in retrospect if my attitude is to be thankful and happy for where I've been - meditating on one memory at a time fills a whole thimble. Each memory (thimble) is filled to the top as I meditate on it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a ton of thimbles if they hold memories. I really like the last line of your blog today. No matter how bad things seem right now, we can hold on to the fact that it too will pass and what's happening now, will be a memory. i say we make the most of each day, and live life for OURSELVES. We can each make the thimbles of today as happy as possible. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post! Keep up all the good work. It's so inspiring.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always been fascinated with your thimble collection. I remember it hanging on the wall when we were younger. I remember asking where they came from and why you had them. They've traveled with us from home to home. They have been a constant in my life just as each memory should be. The vacation to San Antonio was so much fun, other than the wave pool but ya know. Thank you for sharing your memories with me throughout my life. Love you momma

    ReplyDelete