Saturday, April 16, 2011

Simply do the First



The first word written
The first line drawn
The first color chosen
The first seam sewn

The first foot out of bed
The first step of a trip
The first seed planted
The first word's past my lips

No novel will be written
No drawing will be seen
No canvas will be covered
No chance to intervene

No work will be completed
No garden will be grown
No countries will be toured
No garment will be worn

Until I have the courage
Unless I find the strength
To trust myself enough
To simply do the first...

When I woke up this morning, the house was so very cold.  And my bed was so very warm.  So I pulled the covers over my head.  As I lay there in between dream and consciousness, the list of things to do today started swimming in my head.  So I bravely threw the covers back and started the day.  Then I quickly put on the warmest clothes I could find.  Stumbled down the hall to turn on the computer and start the coffee. 

For some reason I am struggling today.  I sat in front of the empty computer screen for ten minutes searching for the first word, the first line.  How ironic, don't you think?  I know that my heaviness, my hesitation is because of fear. I feel like I am on the brink of a new phase in my life.  And while I am very excited,  I am also scared beyond belief.  To take the first step blindly is to take a chance of failing.  Why do I always assume I will fail?  There are many things I have done successfully.

Taking that first step implies a commitment to change.  Making a commitment means realizing you are as likely to sink as you are to swim.  You are as likely to fall as you are to fly.  The curious thing is, sometimes I think I have as much trepidation of swimming, flying and succeeding as I do of failing.  The unknown, regardless of the outcome, can be paralyzing.  I cannot let my fear impede my progress.  What lies ahead may very well be the best time in my life.

Today I pray for the courage to take the first steps. 




Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

3 comments:

  1. It starts with one, and from there it seems to go a little easier with every step. I know that you are brave enough to take the first step...and everyone that follows :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first step is always the hardest. Every step that follows just seems to fall into sync after that. Maintaining a positive outlook is what makes that first step easier, and it makes it possible to overcome what fears you may have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Transition opens up this huge field of potential (one that is always there, we just forget)...life becomes an adventure! - from a recovering "predictability" addict ( me, lol!)

    ReplyDelete