Thursday, May 5, 2011

Salt



Go ahead
Rub salt in my wound
It's all right
Add insult to my injury
Feel free
To add fuel to the fire
Step right up
To kick me when I am down
Look me in the eye
Slap me in the face
When I turn around
Be sure to twist the knife

I am very strong
You'll never see the tears
I can cover up
Been doing it for years
I'll take another blow
But I will never scream
I hear the words you say
But they don't mean a thing
Holding all this pain
What's a little sting
So go ahead
Let's do this thing

Oh, and please
Don't forget the salt.



I, like most, am very aware of the mistakes I have made.  I, like some, am my own worst critic.  And as I struggle to rise above my mistakes and adjust my path, I seem to encounter people who can only see where I have been.  People are aware of my struggle.  In an effort to help, they often don't realize that their words and actions intensify the feeling of failure.  My mistakes are not a joke to me.  My mistakes are not something that I can simply brush aside.  And from the hole in which I stand, there is no simple answer.

I know that there are others who feel the same.  So today as I walk my path, I will look at those around me with compassion.  I will offer words of encouragement and kindness.  I will offer a hand with a loving touch.  I will be aware of their pain, brush the tears from their eyes and understand.



Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm. What a condition to aspire to! To be able to look at anybody and zero in on their heart and be able to put aside their attitude, outward appearance, history, etc. Myself, this is a work in progress but I do know Someone who does this very thing. Thank goodness! JW

    ReplyDelete
  2. I view mistakes as a way to sometimes clear the air with another, give us a common ground with another to open up dialouge for healing, to assess ourselves more deeply and to understand they (mistakes) are part of the human condition. You are so right, it's usually others that amplify our mistakes out loud and the "voice" gets stuck in our mind like a mental ninja that wanders around reeking havoc in our thought process. If we were all perfect, what lessons would we learn?

    ReplyDelete