Monday, May 23, 2011

The Game


I love games
With dice or cards
I will play
With tokens and boards

Games with Life
I will not play
For then the Risk
Is far too great

Life's too dear
For Trivial Pursuit's
Don't care for Ladders
Not fond on Chutes

Don't need the Aggravation
Can't afford to lose my Marbles
No one holds Monopoly
Of my head or heart

Sometimes it Boggle's my mind
That people Go to War
Allowing all those around
To take shots at their Battleship

I'm Sorry for their Trouble
I watch them Pick Up Sticks
And again pull out their Spades
To dig at people's Hearts

They wander through the Labyrinth
Searching for Candyland
Hoping for the Queen of Hearts
Stuck in a game of Twister
And end up holding the Old Maid

I choose to be the Mastermind
Determine my own fate
Placing all my Concentration
On searching for the Clue's

For soon I will have Uno
And I would like to win

When the last hand's dealt
And I hold the Ace of Spades
I don't want to hear
Checkmate

Sometimes we forget that life is not a game.  So many of us are always trying to win something.  We try to be better than everyone else.  We want to be right, and everyone else wrong.  We want to be the smartest, the strongest, the best at everything.  Life is a journey.  And the treasures are those we collect along the way.  The memories, the friends, our family, becoming the person we were meant to be these are the only trophies that hold value. 

When we get caught up in the game, we risk losing the best parts of our life and the best parts of ourself.  When we play board games, if we lose we can play again.  Life is not this way.  If you lose at life, there is no second chance.  And regardless of how we play the game, the end result is the same for all of us.  Life ends with death. 

So today, I put away the games.  Today I value my life.  Today I collect more memories.  Today I reach out to those I love.  Today I live. 

Care to join me?



Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. I love all of your poems, but this one has a whimsical, playful feel to it. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete