Sunday, May 29, 2011

The Patriarch







Kind and loving
Patient and Wise
I see it all
In Grandpa’s eyes

With joy and peace
Faithful and good
He taught us to live
As we should

By example
And on his knees
He leads the way
To heaven’s streets

Honest and true
Pure and just
He taught us all
To live in trust

He loves his Lord
He loves his wife
He taught his children
The righteous life

He’s touched this world
With outstretched hand
Leading many
To the promised land

We all see him
Through different eyes
But we all agree
He’s very wise

He leads us still
Though we’re apart
For he is simply
Our patriarch

The last few days have been an emotional rollercoaster for me.  While I said goodbye to my grandma, I also had the special privilege of connecting with my family.  I had the opportunity to become acquainted with many of my cousins as adults.  The last time I had seen most of them was twenty-five years ago.  I was a young mother and they were still children.  I enjoyed my conversation with each individually and as a group.
I had time with my aunts and uncles, my parents and my brothers.  And although the time seems too brief, I will treasure each and every memory.

In the midst of the excitement I had the honor of visiting with my grandpa.  At ninety-six, he is wise and ornery, reserved and vivacious, loving and direct.  When I am in his presence I am flooded with the memories of many summers spent with my grandparents.  I am reminded of the many times he fixed me breakfast.  I am conscious of every wise statement he has said.  I am overcome with the love of my grandpa.

And when I sit and observe this family, I see the influence of grandpa on every life.  Whether by blood or marriage we cannot deny that he has touched our lives.  He is our patriarch.

I love you grandpa.



Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment