Monday, March 7, 2011

Connections

We are all connected
No one stands alone
We walk all together
Step by step and stone by stone
We are all connected
Heart to heart and arm in arm
We walk all together
Even through the storm

Today I tried origami.  It is not as simple as paper airplanes were when I was in grade school.  But definitely something I hope to master.

As I was working on today's project, I struggled with folding the papers just right.  The instructions had pictures.  How hard could it be?  Simple, straigtforward, I was convinced I could whip it out in a few minutes.  Two and a half hours later, I finally completed the project.  Turns out, the angle of the folds has to be just right.  The first time, my angle was too extreme.  My pieces could not meet to form a circle.  The second time, my angle was too shallow and my pieces overlapped and hid one of the hearts.  Finally, the third time, I got it just right.  I achieved the circle.  And then Alex and I rejoiced together.

I thought about this project and realized how representative it is of people and their relationships, whether it be a family, an organization or work.  When people respond in the extreme, it causes some to pull together but also causes a pulling apart, a separation, a division.  This weakens each individual, as well as the group as a whole.  Likewise, if some people are not equally invested people, are lost or overshadowed by someone else.  This keeps the group from reaching its full potential.

They say that every person in the world is connected to every other person in the world by no more than six people.  It is called the six degrees of separation.  So, if I can offer love, kindness, and understanding to everyone I come in contact with, I can change the world.  The challenge is to have the right angle. 

Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. I am looking forward to each day of your writings. They are a real blessing and support to me. I love you so much.

    Aunt Cheryl

    ReplyDelete