Saturday, March 5, 2011

Ode to Crayons




I love crayons
Black and Brown and Midnight Blue
Forest Green, Goldenrod, and Copper too
Magenta, Purple, Turquoise and Brick Red
Sepia, Orange and Violet Red
Yellow, Gray, Peach and Melon
Orchid, Salmon and Cerulean
Scarlet, Pink and Sky Blue
I simply love every hue

For today's project I used a piece of paper and a box of crayons.  When I was a child this was one of my favorite art projects.

Is there anything as exciting as a brand new box of crayons?  I started with a box of eight.  The ones made for little hands.  Then I graduated to a box of sixteen.  Next came twenty four.  Followed by forty eight.  But, oh what a happy day when I got my first box of ninety six crayons.  Do you remember the box with the little sharpener in the back? When you first open the box, the smell enraptures you.  Your eyes are bombarded with a rainbow of colors.  And when you take the first crayon out, the feel of the paper in your hands.  What a sensation.  What a thrill.  Sometimes I was so overwhelmed by the excitement I couldn't decide what to color first.  So I spent a considerable amount of time organizing the colors.  A simple box of crayons still keeps me entertained for hours.

Love is just like crayons.  You start with your family, the basic colors of life.  The colors that are the basis for all the rest.  We are taught basic values and principles while we are young.  And then we wander into the world.  The farther we wander the more colors we encounter, the more lessons we learn, the more love we experience.  The best part, they are still making new colors.  We still have so many opportunities to experience the new colors of love.  And each time we do, our colors change too.  So as I face this new day, I will be looking for opportunities to color my part of the world.  What color will you be today?

Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

1 comment: