Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Box


Boxes boxes everywhere
In the closet
On the stairs
Holding this
Holding that
So we know where things are at


Today's project is origami.

Anyone who knows me very well will tell you I have a fascination with boxes.  I love boxes; wooden ones, metal ones, big ones, small ones, ones that lock, ones with lids, even paper ones.  I don't know where the fascination originated, I just know I can never have too many boxes. 

My first job was actually folding boxes for a donut shop.  My great-grandfather and I would go to the donut shop where my grandmother and aunt worked and fold boxes together.  I was paid a penny a box.  I also always got a chocolate long john.  To this day I smile everytime I see a donut box. 

Another fun box is a box of chocolates.  I love the little insert which has a special little spot for each piece.  I love trying to figure out which flavor is which by the shape and size.

Then there is a jewelry box.  I had one as a child that played a song and the ballerina spun around in circles.  This made the best treasure box.  I could hide treasures or notes in the box.  And if anyone opened the box I heard the music.

Over the years I have found many uses for a good box.  A few years ago, money was extremely tight at my house.  I picked up a cigar box for each child.  Inside the box I put several pieces of paper, each with a  special memory written on it.  I wrote a poem to go with the box.  Thus the memory box was born.  To this day, it is one of my kids' favorite christmas gifts.

I have a special box that has trinkets that aren't worth much.  And I am sure they would mean nothing to anyone else.  But when I go through the box, I can go through memories that make my heart happy.

Obviously, I am an advocate for boxes.  You can use them for everything.  Boxes define a space and limit input.  Boxes hide their contents from the outside world.  Boxes allow us to move things from one place to another.  These are all good things...and not.  Too often, we live in our boxes.  Sometimes we keep our heart in a box.  Sometimes the boxes around us limit our view of the world.  Sometimes they hide the solution to a problem.  So while boxes are good, we must remember to "think outside the box" as well.

Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

2 comments:

  1. And how about the multiple box, within a box, within a box, to challenge the gift receiver for an identity? MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinkin of the memory boxes brought tears to my eyes!! That present was one of the most thoughtful and I have, since, added memories to it. On my down days, remembering where I have been helps me so much! ~Cj

    ReplyDelete