Friday, March 4, 2011

Memory Lane



Memory Lane runs through my heart
I keep my treasures there

The times I've laughed
The fun I've had
And even bitter tears

As I walk down the lane
I think of those I love
I think of those who guided me
The ones who shared my pain

I wonder where they are today
And I wonder if they know
They are always in my heart
Even though it may not show

Today I simply put pencil to paper.

Yesterday my Aunt Sandy left this life and entered a new one.  Moments like these always trigger a trip down memory lane.  Most of my memories of Sandy are from my childhood.  I remember her at Grandma's house with all her children.  And I remember her allowing me to ride home with her so I could stay a little longer with all the cousins.  I remember visiting their home in the mountains of Colorado.  And I definitely remember the outhouse up the hill.

I remember her as a kind, soft spoken and patient woman.  I know that she had some tough times in her life.  But, whatever life handed her she responded with such grace.  I talked to her a few years ago when she helped me with some family memories for a project I was working on for my children.  I remember the warmth in her voice, the laughter, and the feeling of being young again.

Yesterday when I got the news, I realized that I would never be able to connect with her again in this world.  I thought about what memories I may have lost because I didn't keep in touch.  So I started a list of people in my life that I should reconnect with before time passes me by. 

In this world of electronic contraptions it seems that we should be able to keep those in our heart just a little closer.  With all our conveniences, is there really so little time to tend to what is most important? 

I sincerely hope not.

To Aunt Sandy:  I am sorry I didn't make more of an effort to keep in touch.  I hope your new journey will provide peace and tenderness.  And could you give Grandma, Lea, Regina and Rhonda a hug for me.


Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment