Thursday, March 3, 2011

Heart on My Sleeve



I dusted off my heart
Put it on my sleeve
And so I wear it proudly
For all the world to see

It may not look like much
But it is dear to me
It is the best I have to offer
To all humanity

A helping hand
A friendly smile
A listening ear
A kind word
A heart of understanding
A posture of acceptance
A spirit of reconciliation

Simple things to help improve
My little corner of this world




Today I worked with scraps of material, needle and thread, and a t-shirt. 

Many times I have heard people remark that someone wears her heart on her sleeve.  They say it as if it is a bad thing.  But I have to wonder, if we all wore our hearts on our sleeve wouldn't the world be a better place?  Our compassion, our kindness, our understanding at our fingertips.  Perhaps we wouldn't suffer from "out of sight, out of mind" disease when it comes to our heart.  Wouldn't we be a little more cautious with our words and actions if we could actually see the damage they cause?  Wouldn't it be easier to help those around us if we could actually see what their hearts need? 

Maybe we should have shirts that have pockets on our sleeves, instead of over our hearts.

Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment