Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Beyond the Wall


I built the wall
to end the pain
I built the wall
trying to gain
a peaceful life
to keep me sane

I built the wall
to keep anger out
and end the strife
protect my life

I didn't know
that it would mean
I wouldn't grow
would not be seen

Now I know
The wall must go
Beyond the wall
I must stroll
To breathe the air
and feel the sun
My stone wall
must be undone


Today's project is acrylic paints on canvas.

So many times when I have taken a chance on love and opened myself up, I have experienced pain.  As a result, I started to build walls around my heart.  I started to keep my distance, not invest too much of my heart.  I was convinced it would be better not to feel, not take a chance.  But by trying to keep the world out, I was also locking myself in.  I could not be the person I wanted to be.  I could not experience all life has to offer because I was locked away, behind my wall, where all was gray. 

In order to experience and live life to the fullest, I have to take risks.  Even when I get hurt, I still must keep on moving forward.  It is difficult to find the healing I need for the wounds of the heart within myself.  Healing has only come through the kind words, the shoulders to cry on, the hands reaching out to pull me forward.  And though I have some scars on my heart, I am not ready to hang it up.  There is so much life, so much love, so much joy left to experience.  So, today I choose to climb the wall.

Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Keep climbing. Walls keep in the pain. Please know and never doubt that you are loved and have so much to offer in return. The hurt of the past only enhances the joy of the present and the future.

    Aunt Cheryl

    ReplyDelete