Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Sticks and Stones



Sticks and stones
May break my bones
But words
Will never hurt me
I used to say
But it's not that way
Words can mortally wound me

Bandages, stitches and tape
Cannot cover the gape
That words left in my heart
Words can make me bleed
In a place you cannot see
Words can tear my heart apart

Today's project is charcoal on paper.

When I was a child I learned the simple rhyme Sticks and Stones.  I remember yelling it on the playground when other children were saying mean things.  I also remember going home and crying about the things they had said.  My physical wounds heal so much faster than the wounds of my heart. 

The worst part of using our words to injure someone else, is it often causes them to to strike out with words at someone else.  Is it any wonder that our world knows so much chaos, war and misunderstanding?  If we all started watching our words.  If we all thought about what we were saying.  If we all only spoke kind, healing, positive words to one another.  Perhaps the world would be a better place for our children and our children's children.  What the world needs now is love.

Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

1 comment: