Saturday, June 11, 2011

Restless







Restless
I'm laying in my bed
Thoughts dancing in my head
My heart is filled with dread

Restless
I try a little reading
Thoughts begin their breeding
My sleep they are impeding

Restless
I try a little snack
My thoughts I try to pack
They keep trickling back

Restless
Turning off the light
My thoughts they soon ignite
Dragging out this night

Restless
I try to read once more
My thoughts begin to roar
I simply want to snore

Restless
Tossing to and fro
My thoughts begin to grow
Frustration overflows

Restless
Exhaustion has set in
Lights begin to dim
Finally sleep will win

Drifting
Alarm begins to ring
Birds begin to sing
This day I must begin
Tonight I try again


I have sleepless nights for one of two reasons.  Either I am trying to pack too much into my days.  Or there is a major shift coming in my life.  And with either option what I need most is a good night's sleep.  It becomes  a vicious circle for me.  I have a restless night.  The next night I don't sleep because I am trying to figure out whether I am overloaded or a change is coming.  The following night I am trying to prepare and arrange my life so I am prepared for what is coming.  The fourth night I spend my time making a list of everything I need to do.  The next night I am trying to determine how to get it all done quickly.  The following night I am trying to pare down my list to only the most important things.  The seventh night I fall into bed and sleep for a few hours from sheer exhaustion.  When I wake up I realize the only thing I can do is take my day one moment, one task, one crisis at a time.  I also realize that I cannot change what the future holds.  All I can do is be the best person I can be at the moment.

So today, I will make my list.  Then I will try to pare it down to the most important things.  Today I will remind myself to take things one at a time.  Today I will remind myself to simply do my best.  Today I will give myself permission to relax.  And tonight, I will sleep.  Hopefully.




Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment