Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Time Passing
















The last few days I have been very aware of how fast time passes.  So many things remind me that it stops for no one.  I can no longer count the number of gray hairs on my head.  I don't remember when it became a chore to sit on the floor or worse yet to get up from there.  I can't remember when I decided to slow down and look around.  I don't know what happened to my little children or when they suddenly became adults.  Wasn't it just yesterday they were babies?

I know it was only hours ago that Alexandra was born.  And yet, this month she celebrates her second birthday.    How did she go from the infant who was learning to smile to the child who speaks in sentences? When did she become a little girl with a will of her own?  

As I look at Alexandra, I am taken back to the time when my children were two.  On their second birthday, I measured their height and doubled it.  As a mother I wanted to know whatever I could about their future.  As I look back now, I see the beginnings of some of their finest traits as adults.  I also am very aware of how things have happened throughout their lives that have altered the two year olds that I held in my arms. 

These reflections remind me that this is the moment to offer comfort, direction, encouragement.  It can't wait.  It can't be put off.  Time passes too quickly to go back and fix it.  The time for love and kindness is now.  The time is every moment of every day for they are flying by.




Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Every year, since I have been old enough to read, my father writes in my birthday card "Where have you gone, my little one?". On my 48th b-day a few weeks ago, he didn't write it. I asked him change it!

    ReplyDelete