Tuesday, August 9, 2011

My Cape


My cape is torn and tattered
It's stained with sweat and tears
And yet I wear it proudly
And have for several years

I use to feel invincible
Prepared for every turn
Quick to pick them up
Guiding as they learned

I taught them love and reason
I taught them to be strong
I tried to prepare them
For the world they'd face alone

Now they're grown
Making their own choices
I cannot protect them
As they search for their own voices

A bandaid and a kiss
a hug and simple words
No longer heal the wounds
They receive from this big world

My cape is torn and tattered
My heart is stained with tears
I cannot shield their hearts
I cannot calm their fears
But I will always love them
As they face each new frontier






Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.




No comments:

Post a Comment