Saturday, July 23, 2011

Thankful


Yesterday a fire ravaged an entire building in our apartment complex.  The fire started thirty-six hours ago and firemen are still on the scene.  The embers are still smoldering.   The smell of smoke still fills the air.  Thirty-four families have been displaced.  Everything they owned gone except for the clothes on their backs.  One man lost his life.  I am saddened by this event.  And my heart goes out to all of the families.

At the same time, I am thankful.  My daughter and her roommate lived on the third floor of this building one year ago.  The girls and I walked by to see the damage.  As I looked at the empty, smoking space that used to be there apartment, I was overcome with relief and gratitude.  I immediately hugged both of them.  Today I am thankful for my family,  my friends and the blessings of my life.  Though I struggle from time to time, I am thankful.


Thank you to Jaimee' Allman for the photograph.



Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

1 comment: