Sunday, July 3, 2011

Broken Promises


It's a promise
It's a guarantee
It's a pledge
To you from me

It's an assurance
It's a vow
It's a contract
I mean it now

It's an oath
It's my word
It's a commitment
Perhaps you misheard

I said that
Are you sure
I made a promise
Perhaps premature

Everyone does it
Gives you their word
To really believe it
Now that is absurd

Promises often fly out of our mouths.  We give our word to the people we love, the people we work with, our friends, our family.  How many of those promises do we actually keep?  How many times do we agree to do something without thinking about what it really means?  How often do we make a commitment without considering the cost?  How many times do we make promises we have no intention of keeping? 

And we wonder why people don't believe our words.




Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

1 comment:

  1. Amen. This would be a really tough one to work on for all of us.

    ReplyDelete