Monday, February 28, 2011

Simple Acts


     When the world seems lonely and dark as night
   A little love will bring the light
When life is a raging storm
       A little love will make you warm

Day 1 - A simple project today, I used a piece of cardboard, construction paper, and a glue stick.  When the alarm went off this morning, I jumped out of bed, excited to get started on my project.  I had several in mind.  I decided to start simply today for several reasons. First, it has been a long time since I have used the creative side of my brain. Second, I was a little unsure of my skills, they may be rusty. Third, a simple message was on my mind.

Yesterday was an odd day here.  The sky was covered in an eerie fog all day.  As I was driving roads that I have driven many times before, I still felt completely isolated and alone.  The dense and stubborn fog stayed with us all day.  It was as if we would never again see the sun.  In the evening, the storms came with lightning, hail and thunder, raging through the night. 

Today as I walked outside I was blinded by the sun and the brisk, cold air hit my face and took my breath away.  And I was relieved and thankful.

There have been times in my life when I have wandered, stumbled through the routine of the day with the heaviness of a dark fog.  During those times I was convinced that I would never know joy again.  Often questioning why I should continue to put one foot in front of another.

Each and every time it was a small expression of love from someone in my life that brought the light back into my life.  And with it a hope for the future.

When my life was filled with the storms of conflicting emotions and logic, the flashes of anger, the rumble of discontent, the constant sorrow washing over my soul, I was convinced that I would be washed into oblivion.  As I was taking my last breath, reaching out in desperation, the hand of love from a friend pulled me from the depths and warmed my soul. 

Once again I am reminded that it is often the simple acts of kindness, the simple expressions of love that may make the difference in someone else's life.  I left the house today with that simple truth tucked in my heart and mind.  The world was a brighter place and the faces were much kinder.

It is the simplest things that offer the most hope.


Copyright 2011 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment