Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Learning to Walk...Again

watch your step
one foot in front of the other
one step at a time

when watching your feet
though you keep moving
there is no telling where you will end up

lose your focus
lose your dreams
lose your balance

look up
shoulders back
push forward
learn to walk
again

I walked a trail with a friend this week.  Well, not the whole trail, but part of it.  She encouraged me to push my shoulders back and suck in my gut.  She told me to look up and taught me how to breathe.  Look up and breathe.  Things I had forgotten.  I struggled with looking forward while walking.  I was afraid of losing my balance and falling.  I had to be reminded a few times to look up.  Amazingly enough when I quit looking down, kept my eyes forward  my balance started improving.  Who knew that watching your feet actually makes it harder to balance.  

The breathing, well that was more difficult to master.  In fact, I am still practicing that.  I am finding that breathing correctly I feel better and think more clearly.  Breathing the wrong way makes me feel like I am suffocating. 

Along the trail were several hills.  The first couple, I thought I would die or stumble and roll back down them. As we walked the trail the hills were steeper and longer.  I discovered that they didn't seem quite so bad when I looked up, focused ahead and kept breathing.

As I figured out how to keep my shoulders back, suck in my gut, look up and breathe all at the same time I was rewarded with a flood of positive energy and beautiful views of the world I live in.  

Thanks to my friend...I am learning to walk again.





Copyright 2012 Ramblings by Dawn.  All rights reserved.






No comments:

Post a Comment